OCULARIS was founded in 2010 as a non-profit organization by Dr. Joan Prat and his Ophthalmology team of the Barcelona San Juan de Dios Paediatric Hospital of Barcelona (HSJD).
Currently, more than twenty people with different profiles are part of our team: ophthalmologists, optometrists, ocularists, as well as specialists in development cooperation project management, finance and communication.
We are funded by our public and private sponsors, but also by individual donors who believe in the power of education and training to change a country in a sustainable and long lasting way.
- Eradicate blindness and avoidable visual pathologies that today sentence the future of millions of people without resources in the world. Visual impairment affects not only quality of life, but also access to education, preventing equal economic development.
- Promote paediatric care, as untreated pathologies in childhood often become permanent visual impairments.
- Strongly support ophthalmic and optometric training in low-income countries, partnering with their governments and universities until they acquire the capacity to train their students by themselves without depending on anyone else.
- Strengthen their knowledge and skills so that they can provide quality care to a greater number of people.
- Provide quality training in their own environment, adapting to their needs and using locally available resources.