WHO ARE WE?
OCULARIS was founded in 2010 as a non-profit organisation by Dr. Joan Prat and his team at the ophthalmology department of the Pediatric Hospital of San Juan de Dios in Barcelona (HSJD).
Currently, more than a score of different people work on it daily, OPHTHALMOLOGISTS, OPTOMETRISTS, OCULARISTS, as well as PROFESSIONALS and international aid VOLUNTEERS in the scope of management, finance, communication… and of course, with the invaluable economic support of PARTNERS, public and private entities.
“Education is the key for the development of a country, while current measures limit a country’s self-sufficiency without leaving a legacy.” Dr. Joan Prat, founder of OCULARIS
To eradicate avoidable blindness, which can be cured or prevented, and to fight for the universal and equal right of visual health, to contribute towards the elimination of poverty and to improve the quality of life of the population, especially of children.
- Our vision is to be a pillar in ophthalmological and optometric education in developing countries so that they would be able to carry out visual health education autonomously by involving governments, universities and health professionals.
- We contribute to enhance their understanding and technical performances for them to be able to assist a larger number of people. Trainings are adapted to their environment and their necessities by using their own resources to improve health and social care.
- We work in Sub-Saharan Africa, where visual deficiencies determine the future of millions of people without resources.
- IMPLICATION: With effort and empathy, we transmit professionalism to the present and future visual health professionals.
- PERSEVERANCE: With compromise and determination, we continually strive to improve and achieve our objectives.
- EQUALITY:Standardising the optometric and ophthalmological knowledge between North and South, bearing in mind gender equality.
- HONESTY: We work in a transversal way, we communicate clearly, and we act decently.
- EDUCATION: We share European medical knowledge in a practical way, considering the reality and the means available of each country. We guide and teach African doctors with the objective of educating educators, improving at once the quality of visual health assistance of their population, especially of children.